Mancing Mania

A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work

Rabu, 18 Mei 2011

Camping Survival Knife Tanto Magnesium Fire Starter

Hunting Knives 

The knife is awesome! the only bad thing I heard about it was it had a cheap sheath but they must have upgraded it. Now it is lined with some pretty sturdy rubber. The only complaint I have is the fire starter that came with it won't spark. 

I am happy with it, there was however a small mistake on the weave of the corded handle. Something that was done, and whoever did it, did not fix, would would have taken maybe 15 seconds to fix, yet now it's permanent. That's the only reason why I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5.

This blade is my primary blade, so I can leave my 15 inch blade in the sheath to stay sharp and dry. I think this metal is perfect for the elements, and after I put a wax coat on it, it felt nice and smooth. I am ready to take this bad boy out for a spin soon. 3 day "survival" mode camping trip by myself, and I'll be sure to put her to good use and add to the review if I come up with more info on this blade.

I received my knife only about five days after ordering it. It comes in a fabric sheath that holds the knife in place with a Velcro strap. It also has a nifty little pocket on the front of the sheath itself for storing the magnesium alloy fire starter. I've read complaints that the sheath is cheap and that the knife will begin to cut into the sheath. Although this is true, I stuck my finger down the sheath and felt a thin layer of plastic covering the inside walls for protection against cutting into the sheath. I will, however, take the extra step of reinforcing it with wool or some sort of cut resistance fabric.
The knife itself is a thick stainless steal. The point is the sharpest, followed by a duller but thicker mid. The cord that wraps around the handle seems pretty stable for me, though some review-ies say they've had to re-wrap for most stability.

I would have given it five stars but the Velcro strap would have been better as a snap-in. Also having to re-enforce the inside of the sheath cuts out points, since it is a very important part of the whole package. All and all, I think it's a very useful tool for the price paid.